Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My NaNoWriMo 2014 Project

Some thoughts on my NaNoWriMo 2014 experiences so far...

I was under impression that November was supposed to start on Monday (yeah, sad time-keeping skills, I know...), so instead of getting my word count up during the past weekend I was working on one of my other projects (that is, I was doing one of the big 'No-Nos' of the NaNoWriMo - cheating on my NaNo novel with another novel.) So Monday comes and I realize I'm behind by 2 days already, so I quickly jump in, trying to catch up and all.

NaNo is stressful, but in a good way, I guess, as it opens one's eyes to the greety sweaty bits of the writing process. Apparently, quite a few best-sellers out there have started out as NaNo projects (what comes to mind: WOOL; THE NIGHT CIRCUS; THE DARWIN ELEVATOR)...

Glitches... Having trouble updating my word count - everything works so slowly or doesn't work at all via Chrome, so I start using Firefox again, just to get the NaNo website to work. 

NaNo got digital badges! Awesome. Got my 5,000 words milestone badge, and the next one is 10,000, then the half mark badge, and so on. Curious if those are somehow redeemable into personal virtual spaces, or at least if the final badge is. At my day job, I am working with digital badges in online education, so I am mighty curious about how badges work in NaNo.

Yesterday  I learnt about 30 Covers in 30 Days and sent my query in. Fingers crossed, but I'm realistic. NaNo Forums also  have these so-called artisanal space/threads where graphic designers or just other writers savvy enough to use Photoshop offer to put together a free e-cover to go to your NaNo novel page. I guess it's a way for them to build up their portfolio and generate connections with future clients. I've sent a query to one of those, but the artist has closed shop and I am not game to bother another one. So I came up with my own cover. This image is/will not be used for commercial purposes, and the CC attribution is provided below. I am mildly proud of my creation. Below is the synopsis of my NaNo 2014 project: 

OASIS  


Their summer at a Dubai-based archaeological dig turns nightmare when Alif and her friends get stranded outside their tents during a desert storm. Saved by an oasis that seemed to have sprung up overnight, the group soon makes a brutal discovery: the oasis is not what it seemed and their arrival here is not an accident.

Back home, Alif tries to put the dark summer behind her, but when her fellow survivors begin to disappear, she must team up with her former crush to return what they took from the oasis, something that must have never left the desert.

IMAGE USED : Maria Rosaria Sannino 01/01/2009 Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0) http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsannino/3188253460/in/photostream/ Remixed colors and added text




No comments:

Post a Comment